Find the Right Concealed Carry Firearm for You
There are several things to consider when choosing the right concealed carry firearm. While it is easy to focus only on the style and caliber of the firearm, there are other aspects that should also be taken into consideration: Accessibility and sizing, shooter abilities, firearm functionality, and the ideal place to find qualified staff to receive assistance with the purchase of your firearm. Understanding what each of these factors entails will help you find a firearm you are comfortable with in San Antonio, TX.
Style and Caliber of Your Concealed Carry Firearm
Preferability is up to individual discretion. For example, some concealed carriers prefer revolvers as opposed to semiautomatics. But regardless of styling choice, here are the questions you should ask yourself prior to purchasing your concealed carry firearm:
- Are you able to hold your concealed carry handgun in a single hand without losing control of it?
- Do your fingers reach the trigger properly?
- Are you able to pull the upper receiver and lock it to the rear without expelling too much effort?
- Can the magazine be easily ejected when you are holding it?
- Are you able to comfortably lift the concealed carry with one hand – straight in front of you – as though you were aiming directly in front of you?
- Does your non-dominant – or supporting hand – interfere at all with the gun’s operation or aiming?
With the exception of question six, should you answer any of these questions with a “no”, the firearm you selected may not be the right fit for you. Until you can answer all of these questions affirmatively, remain patient as you continue your search with our experts at Buck & Doe’s.
In regards to caliber, the answer is simpler than you think. If you are able to shoot a bullseye target efficiently, quickly, comfortably, and most importantly – more than once, you have selected the right caliber for you. Try varying calibers to feel confident that you have made the best choice. Consider the recoil. Does it cause you any discomfort or apprehension? If so, move on to another caliber until you are certain you are comfortable with the recoil.
Accessibility and Sizing
With your concealed carry firearm, purchasing a holster is strongly recommended. The most popular holsters are the inside-the-waistband holsters, but there are other options as well. There are pocket holsters, shoulder holsters, outside-the-waistband holsters, and more. Find one that makes your concealed carry firearm easily accessible to you. Check and make sure the sizing of the holster matches the firearm you will carry; too tight of a holster will cause your firearm to be difficult to grasp, and too loose of one can cause the firearm to fall out. Upgrade or replace your holster every few years for safety precautions.
Shooter Abilities and Functionality
- Vision impairment is important to be addressed when choosing the right concealed carry firearm. Thankfully, many concealed carry firearms offer optical sighting for just this reason. Slight alignment and clear depths of field and/or sights are just a few of the benefits of purchasing a firearm with optical sighting upgrades.
- Whether you have small or large hands, the concealed carry firearm should fit comfortably within your hand. Adjust sizing as needed.
- Single action; double action; or semi-automatic. Each has its own unique characteristics and is suited to different levels of shooter ability and confidence. Ask one of our gun experts at Buck & Doe’s in San Antonio for assistance in finding one right for you.
Ideal Places to Purchase Firearms
When shopping for any firearm – concealed carry or otherwise – always visit a gun shop that has experts to assist you. At Buck & Doe’s, not only do we have experts but we are equipped with a state-of-the-art indoor shooting range to practice with your newly purchased firearm. We also offer firearm rentals if you are not comfortable with purchasing just yet. Do not waste anymore time, our experts are ready to assist you with finding the perfect concealed carry firearm!